Sunnyside Celebrates Completion of Renovation Project

Sunnyside in Sevier Park reopens after extensive renovations with a ribbon-cutting ceremony.

On Saturday, June 29 at 10:00 a.m., Mayor Freddie O’Connell will join Metro Parks Director Monique Odom, Metro Historical Commission (MHC) Chair Linda Wynn, MHC Executive Director Tim Walker, and Council Members Tom Cash and Terry Vo to celebrate the completion of a multi-year renovation and improvement project at Sunnyside in Sevier Park. Following the ceremony, Sunnyside, which houses the offices of the Metro Historical Commission, will be open to the public for tours until 1:00 p.m. During the event, Friends of Sevier Park and the 12th South Neighborhood Association will provide refreshments in the late 19th century carriage house.

“The renovation and restoration at Sunnyside has been a long time coming,” said MHC Executive Director Tim Walker. “We are thankful to Metro Parks, former Mayor John Cooper, and Mayor Freddie O’Connell for prioritizing this project in their Capital Spending Plans. The main building was updated and restored, and we now have additional park amenities like improved parking, public restrooms, and a café space in the reconstructed carriage house.”

Built in 1852 for Mary Childress Benton, Sunnyside also includes two early 19th-century log buildings incorporated into the back wing, or rear ell, of the structure. A dendrochronology study by Dr. Maegen Rochner (University of Louisville) revealed one of the log buildings dates back to 1823-24. These log buildings can be viewed through windows on the outside of the house, which also display bullet and cannon holes from the Battle of Nashville on December 16, 1864. After the death of the last private owner, Col. Granville Sevier, in 1945, the 20.5-acre site was sold to the city of Nashville as a public park. Sunnyside was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1974 and designated as a local historic landmark district in 2004.

“Since 2018, approximately $6 million has been invested in revitalizing this property, making it a useful and historic site in the city’s history,” said Metro Parks Director Monique Horton Odom.

Sunnyside has been home to the Metro Historical Commission (MHC) and Metro Historic Zoning Commission (MHZC) since 2004. With years of deferred maintenance and a growing staff, the office required significant renovation. The Metro Parks Department funded the improvements in 2020. In addition to repairs and restorations, a modern glass connector now welcomes visitors from the new northern entrance. Archaeological investigations during renovations led to a greater understanding of the site, including the lives of enslaved people between 1820-1865. Archaeologist Dr. Adam Fracchia will present his findings during the office tours on June 29. Tim Finch of Finch Finishes will discuss restoring the original woodwork, and Metro Nashville Police Department (MNPD) officers Belcher and Jones will explain the ballistic analysis conducted to study the damage done during the Battle of Nashville.


– Welcome by MHC Chair, Linda T. Wynn

– Metro Parks Director Monique Odom

– District 17 Council Member, Terry Vo

– District 18 Council Member, Tom Cash

– MHC Executive Director Tim Walker

– Mayor O’Connell

– Tour of house and refreshments to follow

Metro Parks and Recreation aims to provide Nashville with an inviting network of parks and greenways that offer health, wellness, and quality of life through various programs. The department oversees 15,000 acres of open space, including 178 parks, 100 miles of greenway, 4 nature centers, 27 community centers, and numerous other facilities and programs.

Created in 1966, the Metropolitan Historical Commission works to document history, save and reuse buildings, and raise public awareness about the importance of preservation in Nashville and Davidson County, Tennessee.

Source: Read Original Release

Murfreesboro City Offices Closed for Independence Day

Murfreesboro City Hall and most city offices, including the St. Clair Street Senior Center and Murfreesboro Transit, will be closed on July 4, 2024, for Independence Day. While most recreational facilities will also be closed, Boro Beach will remain open, and Bloomfield Links will be available for golfing. Garbage collection will be rescheduled to the day before. The city will host its annual “Celebration Under the Stars” event at the Fountains at Gateway, featuring live music and fireworks. Regular city operations will resume on July 5, 2024.