TDEC Offers Hazardous Waste Collection in Three Tennessee Counties

The Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation will provide household hazardous waste collection in Hamblen, Lincoln, and Rutherford counties on April 6.

The Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation (TDEC) will offer its mobile household hazardous waste collection service in Hamblen, Lincoln, and Rutherford counties on Saturday, April 6. Residents are encouraged to bring household hazardous waste, including cleaning fluids, pesticides, and swimming pool chemicals, to designated drop-off locations. Participation is open to all Tennesseans, regardless of their county of residence.

Drop-off locations and contact information:

  • Hamblen County – Hamblen County Solid Waste, 3849 Sublett Rd., Morristown, 8 a.m.-noon. Contact: Barbara Horton, (423) 586-1931.
  • Lincoln County – Fayetteville/Lincoln County Recycle Center, 705 Main Ave. S., Fayetteville, 8 a.m.-1 p.m. Contact: Carol Fulmer, (931) 703-2435.
  • Rutherford CountyMurfreesboro Solid Waste Department, 4765 Florence Rd., Murfreesboro, 8 a.m.-noon. Contact: Bishop Wagener, (615) 295-9716.

TDEC Commissioner David Salyers emphasized the importance of making it convenient for Tennesseans to recycle household hazardous waste. Since the program began in 1993, more than 373,000 Tennessee households have properly disposed of over 24 million pounds of material through 1,500 one-day collection events.

Household hazardous waste materials are flammable, toxic, reactive, and/or corrosive and should not be placed with regular garbage. Items accepted include cleaning fluids, pesticides, mercury thermometers and thermostats, fluorescent lamps, lithium and button batteries, aerosols, adhesives, medications, brake fluid, swimming pool chemicals, paint thinner, and used needles in sturdy containers. Items not accepted include ammunition, explosives, alkaline batteries, paint, electronics, and empty containers that should be disposed of in normal trash.

The collection service is free for household hazardous waste, but there is a cost for Very Small Quantity Generator Waste from non-household sources such as businesses, schools, farms, and churches. An appointment is necessary for these sources.

Many counties and municipalities also provide collection of batteries, oil, paint, antifreeze, and electronic scrap (BOPAE). Residents should contact their local city or county solid waste department to find BOPAE collection sites in their area.

For more information on the household hazardous waste mobile collection service, visit or call 800-287-9013.

Source: Read Original Release

Tennessee’s SBEAP Wins National Excellence Award

Tennessee’s Small Business Environmental Assistance Program (SBEAP) has been honored with the Excellence Award by the National Small Business Environmental Assistance Program for its outstanding performance in providing compliance assistance, sustainability initiatives, advocacy, and collaboration at the national level.