Hazardous Waste Collection in Gibson, Montgomery Counties

TDEC to host mobile hazardous waste collection on March 16.
Public Safety

The Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation (TDEC) is set to offer a mobile household hazardous waste collection service in Gibson and Montgomery counties on Saturday, March 16. This initiative provides a convenient avenue for Tennesseans to safely dispose of various hazardous materials, underscoring TDEC’s commitment to environmental sustainability and public health.

Residents from any location are welcome to participate in this free event, which aims to collect items such as cleaning fluids, pesticides, swimming pool chemicals, and more. The service will be available at the Ed Jones Agriplex in Trenton, Gibson County, from 8 a.m. to noon, and at Veterans Plaza in Clarksville, Montgomery County, from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.

TDEC Commissioner David Salyers expressed enthusiasm about the event, stating, “We want it to be convenient for Tennesseans to recycle household hazardous waste, and this collection service is a great way to show that commitment.” He encouraged state residents to take advantage of this opportunity to ensure the safe disposal of hazardous household materials.

Since its launch in 1993, the program has seen over 373,000 Tennessee households dispose of more than 24 million pounds of hazardous material through more than 1,500 one-day collection events. The service seeks to prevent the improper disposal of flammable, toxic, reactive, and/or corrosive materials, which pose significant environmental and public health risks if mixed with regular garbage.

Participants are advised to transport their hazardous materials in sturdy boxes lined with newspaper or plastic to prevent spills and contamination. The collection service emphasizes the exclusion of items such as ammunition, explosives, alkaline batteries, paint, electronics, and any empty containers, which are not accepted.

For businesses, schools, farms, churches, and other non-household sources, the disposal of Very Small Quantity Generator Waste incurs a fee, and an appointment is required. Additionally, Tennesseans are encouraged to contact their local city or county solid waste department for information on the disposal of batteries, oil, paint, antifreeze, and electronic scrap—collectively known as BOPAE.

For further details on the mobile household hazardous waste collection service, Tennesseans can call 800-287-9013 or visit the TDEC website.

Source: Read Original Release